Re: Processed: force-overwrite bugs

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 03:37:49PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> If you're going to make them grave then they belong to debianutils
> rather than coreutils (on the argument that it renders debianutils
> unusable on upgrade.)
> Here's what I don't understand:
>
> (31)osgiliath:/tmp> apt-cache show coreutils
> Package: coreutils
> Essential: yes
>
> IOW, coreutils is set up to replace debianutils, so none of these bugs
> makes any sense. Maybe reassign to dpkg, or am I missing something
> obvious? Note that policy section 7.5.1 says:
>  If an installed package, foo say, declares that it replaces another,
>  bar, and an attempt is made to install bar, dpkg will discard files in
>  the bar package which would overwrite those already present in foo. This
>  is so that you can install an older version of a package without
>  problems.
>
> By my reading of that a debianutils package without readlink should be
> unnecessary.

Well, my dist-upgrade today said:

Preparing to replace coreutils 4.5.7-1 (using .../coreutils_4.5.8-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement coreutils ...
Replacing files in old package debianutils ...
Setting up coreutils (4.5.8-1) ...

(Reading database ... 71250 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace debianutils 2.2.3 (using .../debianutils_2.3.1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement debianutils ...
dpkg: error processing /fujitsu/debs/debianutils_2.3.1_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/bin/readlink', which is also in package coreutils

So basically what you're seeing here is that the ordering isn't necessarily
sane.

Clint said (in http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=183209&msg=9):

> I suppose that coreutils needs a Conflicts against debianutils << 2.4-1
> as long as people are going to continue installing earlier versions
> after coreutils 4.5.8-1.

This will likely make APT realize that debianutils >> 2.4 needs to be
upgraded first.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.