Re: Builds undistributalbe debs without perl in the standard path.

Hi,

At Wed, 2 Jan 2002 03:03:28 +0100,
Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously YAEGASHI Takeshi wrote:
> > Yes.  That's to avoid building broken dpkg debs by mistake under
> > Debian environment.  /usr/sbin/update-alternatives that needs
> > /usr/local/bin/perl would be quite harmful to most sites.
>
> But changing PATH doesn't affect that at all.

I believe that PATH setting when configure does affect the result.  It
replaces each #!/usr/bin/perl with one discovered by configure.

> > We can explicitly use standard /usr/bin/perl by restricting PATH to
> > /usr/bin:/bin when configure.
>
> Those scripts should run with any perl version (maybe not perl3 and
> older, but definitely anything from perl4), so I do not see why we
> would want to restrict PATH.
>
> > Can we assume it's already under Debian environment when configuring
> > and building dpkg in debian/rules?
>
> Definitely not, the only dependencies should be GNU make, perl4 or later
> and the packages listed as Build-Depends.

I understand your point w.r.t. the package's policy.  Thank you.

--
YAEGASHI Takeshi <t@keshi.org> <takeshi@yaegashi.jp> <yaegashi@dodes.org>