Re: [devel-ref] author/homepage in description

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 02:01:36PM -0800, Chris Waters wrote:
> > > As for the extra work, it doesn't matter.
>
> > It's not nice to screw around with other people's time like that.
>
> But no one is *required* to do anything.  (Yet, if ever.)  This is a
> "best-practices" suggestion that only applies to packages which *have*
> a meaningful "homepage".  So, we have a suggestion for what we should
> do now and what we should do if/when dpgk changes, and anyone who
> doesn't want to waste their time can wait until dpkg changes.

I'm just generally against the "let's do this now even if we know for a fact
it's technically suboptimal, only not done because of trifle details, and
will cause us extra work later" attitude. The new field should be done
properly ASAP; the developers' reference can document the existing practice
of putting this stuff in the Description: field, but if we have a consensus
to make a new field, then we should do that, not concentrate on workarounds.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.