portability of dpkg decreasing?

from a few changes in the dpkg package I get the feeling that
portability is not any more one of the highest prioritys (which I
thought was one of Wicherts prioritys, at least)¸ There is for
example the va_copy thing, but also now (in cvs) the libintl.h
dependency. this last has not been there for long. The configure test
for both is in place, but is not evaluated or the absence is not
resolved in any productiv way. the build just fails.

How many systems (AIX, Solaris, BSDs...?) have a libintl.h? I see
that internationalisation is IMPORTANT. Is there some way to have
both, portability and internationalisation? Or is portability
really not so improtant any more?