Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

Hi,

        [BTW, is this still relevant on debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org?]

>>"Steve" == Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> writes:

 Steve> My point, which people seem to keep ignoring, is that I
 Steve> *personally* have no way of judging the quality of a
 Steve> translation. Therefore, I cannot take responsibility for
 Steve> including random translation submissions into my package.

	Most people packaging complex pieces of software can not,
 personally, take responsibility for that in the first place. You
 hitnk the kernel image maintainers know and are responsible for every
 nuance of every drivber packaged? Hell, I package make, and I have no
 idea how the rules processor works. Even significant time spent into
 device drivers is unlikely to allow me to correct them; The same is
 true for the intricate internals of gnus.

	We already package things that we ourselces can't completely
 fix. or even know if they are totally screwed up or not. (I do not
 use nnimap, and I can't tell whether it is screwed up wither -- how
 long do you want to wait until I package a enw release?)

	What We are indeed responsible for is that when informed of
 the problem, we go and ask people in the know. We ask upstream, we go
 to upstream mailing lists, we ask other developers, any one in the
 community -- and we work together with the people who know and the
 people who report problems to resolve the issue.

	Translations are like that. W4e have upstream translators --
 and, wonder of wonders, these upstream translators are likely to be
 developers. We have infrastructure to help a developer correct the
 translation when informed the translation is sub optimal.

 >> These are my packages. I am responsible. Mine! Mine! all
 >> Mine! is a bad way to think of your relationship to your packages.

 Steve> Maybe I communicate badly, but that is not at all what I said. Would
 Steve> you include arbitrary MIPS assembly code patches into your
 Steve> packages?

	There is arbitrary assembly code in all kernels. I can see my
 way to maintaining a kernel image package, yes.

 Steve> And in fact, I have a better chance of correctly decoding arbitrary
 Steve> assembly code than, say, Mandarin. Or Greek. I'm happy to accept and
 Steve> consider patches to my packages. But if I just incorporated them with
 Steve> checking, you, Manoj, would be first in line to criticize me. And you'd
 Steve> be completely justified.

	Rubbish. I know developers are not god. I expect you, when
 told it is wrong, to find a mandarin speaking developer (and we
 should make this easier) and request a correction.

	Pretending we are really supermen who know all that is to be
 known about our packages, and that we are ultimately responsible for
 every aspect of out packages, and that we never, ever, need help
 correcting parts of out package, smacks of pride.

	manoj
--
 Certainly there are things in life that money can't buy, But it's
 very funny -- did you ever try buying them without money? Ogden Nash