Re: dpkg-scanlibs

> On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 10:03:58PM -0600, Jon Nelson wrote:
> > I only see one problem with dpkg-scanlibs.py: it uses tabs
> > tabs are evil, wichert!  Every editor under the sun uses different tab
> > settings.  Use spaces, my man.
>
> That is precisely the reason that tabs should be used; so that people
> can display them as they like.

Eeek!  You misunderstand the root problem here, I think.
Python uses indent level to represent blocks.  If those indent levels
are different in different editors, you *change* what the program does.
Unlike in C, where indentation doesn't matter, who cares? But with
Python, it can be vital. You choose 8.  So does wichert. I like 2 in python,
4 in everything else.  Most of the Python community seems to prefer
either 2 or 4, and rarely 8. So what? If it is done with spaces it is
unimportant, but done with tabs it's vital.

--
"We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in
blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have

Jon Nelson
jnelson@boa.org