Re: dpkg-scanlibs

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 04:32:36AM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> I just uploaded a beta-version of dpkg-scanlibs to
> http://people.debian.org/~wakkerma/ . This is the python rewrite
> of dpkg-shlibdeps and will replace it once I'm sure it works properly.

Would that make (*shudder*) python mandatory for people who build
packages? We already have one required crappy language in the
distribution, and I'm not convinced that it's a good idea to add yet
another.

You seem to use the equivilent of system() quite often. Perhaps this
would be best implemented as a shell script. However, the hash stuff
would not be quite so simple in shell. How about using shoop
(*duck*) :).

To return to being serious, I think that this script is short enough
that it's not worth mandating python installation for all developers
just to use it. It would be trivial to rewrite it in Perl. Can Python
produce small excecutables that do not depend on pythonic libraries?