Re: Debian package manager under Solaris

On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 06:20:43PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
|dpkg compiles fine in IRIX, HP-UX, SunOS and Solaris. You might have
|to patch start-stop-daemon, the current implementation does not handle
|all OSes but that should be really easy. dselect will compile on any
|system with a recent ncurses. I know for sure that apt works on
|Solaris machines as well, I'm not aware of people having used it on
|any other systems but I see no reason why it should not work.

Thank you both for your replies - now I know it's more likely to be
my environment that's not working rather than problems with the code ... :)

For the record, autoconf had been complaining about not being able to
work out the size of unsigned ints and longs, as well as a number of
include files being missing ... include files shouldn't be too hard
to figure out, however I must admit to being a little stumped as to how
to fix the sizing problems ... would we require a particular version of
gcc?

|> Should I be talking to anyone in particular? Are there other tools about
|> that I might not be aware of?
|
|You might not be able to use fakeroot to build packages. You will
|probably need GNU make, GCC, GNu tar and probably a few other
|GNU tools to build everything.

hmmm ... not so worried about not having fakeroot, but we have everything
else you mention there ...

Thanks again for the pointers,
Malcolm

--
   /\    The Fulcrum Consulting Group             Malcolm Herbert - Consultant
  /\O\   Professional Services For Operation    Malcolm.Herbert@fulcrum.com.au