Re: Proposal new source archive format

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 11:48:08AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Ben Collins wrote:
> > How about this. By default the system can do the standard diff like it
> > does not (excluding the debian/) and place the resulting diff in
> > debian/patches/debian.diff, then create the .debian.tar.gz of the debian/
> > directory. Then allow for expansion above and beyond that. We get a
> > .tar.gz of the debian directory, the same ease of diffing, plus the added
> > functionality that some of the more advanced packages require.
>
> Something like this sounds ok, except Wichert's objections about packages with
> an upstream debian directory still come into play and I still think special
> cases to hack around that are a bad idea. Hmm.

The only thing I can think of is to document this situation with these
solutions:

1) For a maintained debian/ in .orig.tar.gz, don't include a debian.tar.gz
   and {,un}pack normally
2) For an unmaintained debian/ use the subdir format along with a
   .debian.tar.gz:

	foo-1.0/debian (for .debian.tar.gz, handled automatically)
	foo-1.0/foo-src (for the .orig.tar.gz specified by the
			 mainainer in the debian/source file)

This way, the .debian.tar.gz is the "used" files, and the upstream debian/
does not need to be touched.