Re: dpkg for FreeBSD

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Jules Bean wrote:

> You don't say which dpkg version you ported.  There are, I believe, some
> significant differences in recent versions.

Ah, sorry.
It was dpkg 1.4.1.19 from CVS repo.

I'm afraid dpkg 1.4.1 is stable version and couldn't be modified.
Should I take experimental dpkg 1.5.1?

> > * dpkg detects an architecture by executing 'gcc -print-libgcc-file-name'.
> >   This is wrong on FreeBSD, because this file is simply /usr/lib/libgcc.a
> >   I suggest if this check is failed, dpkg should have a reasonable default
> >   value. This value could be set by ./configure --with-default-arch=XXX.
> >   I've done workaround in dpkg-gencontrol, etc. scripts but modifing
> >   dpkg binary is necessary.
>
> Yup.  Something is wrong there.  I suppose if we're using configure, we
> should use configure's host-type stuff.

I think it is done for cross compiled packages. Is any possible solution
for this incopability? It makes dpkg useless for other platforms.

> > * debian/rules file uses /usr/bin/make program. This is correct if make
> >   is GNU make! I suggest the rules file should use i.e. /usr/bin/dpkg-make
> >   which is a symlink to real GNU make (at FreeBSD this is /usr/local/bin/gmake).
>
> dpkg is written for the GNU system.  So, it assumes GNU make, GNU mv, GNU
> xargs, etc...
>
> Removing these dependencies is desirable in some ways, but may make things
> more complex..

I think the dpkg as standalone program should be portable to system without
GNU utils (like mv, xargs). Of course GNU make is required, but it could be
easly resolved by /usr/bin/dpkg-make symlink.

--

Piotr "Dexter" Roszatycki
mailto:dexter@fnet.pl