Re: Release Notes for buster: 70-persistent-net-rules still supported?

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>> Would it help if instead of saying "only one network interface (of a
>> given type)" it said something like "only one network interface in a
>> given type namespace (e.g. ethX)"?
>
> From my translator's point of view, please avoid the jargon
> ("namespace"), though I can't come up with something better...

Unfortunately I'd chosen the jargon word carefully for its usefulness
as a way of equivocating... you may not be safe using one wired and
one wireless card, since in very rare cases the kernel may misclassify
them as eth0 and eth1; but as long as it's only putting one interface
in each namespace you *are* guaranteeably safe!  (Or at least, you're
safe from them coming up as eth1 and eth0 the next time; you aren't
safe from finding they've turned into eth0 and wlan0.  But the
"predictable names" system doesn't protect you from that anyway; the
only thing that does is identifying them by MAC addresses.)

Another way of phrasing it would be to say something like "only one
network interface recognised as belonging to a given type (e.g.
ethX)".  But that's getting too contorted.  Maybe it would be better
to simplify down to this:

    On systems with simple network hardware (e.g. only an <literal>eth0</literal>
    commandline option should also work.