Re: Release Notes for buster: 70-persistent-net-rules still supported?

On Mi, 03 iul 19, 19:07:40, Michael Biebl wrote:

> > As per the e-mail thread that started this, users will find out it does
> > work. If the Release Notes entry contradicts their experience they will
> > dismiss the advice as outdated/incorrect/etc.
>
> Being a supported configuration and still working (to some extent) are
> two different issues, I'd say.

I think we agree, let me rephrase to make sure ;)

The original entry stated "it doesn't work" (or it could be understood
like this).

Users found it does work (for them) and as a consequence they dismissed
the entire entry as incorrect/outdated/etc. and didn't bother to migrate
(don't fix if working, etc.).

My intention is to explain that, while it may work in some cases, it's
not something to rely on and users should migrate[1].

We could make it stronger by pointing out that it will definitely be
disabled in bullseye and backports at the expense of making the entry
slightly longer.

[1] if my wording does not convey this properly hopefully Justin will
chime in to improve it ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei