Re: buster and the release notes

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> Justin B Rye wrote:
>> #  You should also make sure the system is <quote>clean</quote> before
>>
>> This is "clean" in a rather nerdy sense (cf. the way an "unclean"
>> filesystem may require ritual purification via fsck); and APT also has
>> a technical meaning of its own for "apt clean".  What we're really
>> trying to say here is something more like "stable"... but we can't use
>> that word either.
>
> s|<quote>clean</quote>|consistent| ?

Well, having package-installs pending isn't exactly inconsistent... or
indeed unclean.  Maybe if it didn't vaguely talk about "the system" we
could use something simpler:

    You should also make sure the package database is ready before

>> #   proceeding with the upgrade. If you are a user of another package manager
>> #   like <systemitem role="package">aptitude</systemitem> or <systemitem
>> #   role="package">synaptic</systemitem>, review any pending actions. If a
>> #   package is scheduled for removal or update in the package manager, it might
>>
>> Is it possible for a scheduled *update* (or I think it means
>> "upgrade") to cause trouble?  After all, as soon as I call for a
>> dist-upgrade they're *all* going to be scheduled for an upgrade.
>> There can be problems if the pending upgrade pulls in extra packages,
>> but then the real issue is that a package is scheduled for
>> installation.  In fact maybe it should be:
>>
>>     If a package is scheduled in the package manager for installation or removal,
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Or am I missing possibilities?
>>
>> #   negatively impact the upgrade procedure. Note that correcting this is only
>> #   possible if your APT source-list files still point to
>> #   <emphasis>&oldreleasename;</emphasis> and not to
>> #   <xref linkend="old-sources"/>.
>>
>> ("Negatively impact" makes me think of "rapid unscheduled
>> disassembly".)
>
> s/it might negatively impact/it might interfere in unexpected ways with/ ?

Possibly even just "it might interfere with", given that we're having
to tell them about it.