Re: buster and the release notes

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> Paul Gevers wrote:
>>> [*] I seem to remember a section recommending to upgrade the system to
>>> the latest point release/security updates before the dist-upgrade. It
>>> would probably make more sense to have it there instead, if that section
>>> still exists.
>>
>> I gave it a shot, but it looks clumsy. Any ideas for a better text (or
>> location)?
>
> LGTM FWIW, I'll let Justin do his magic :)

LGTM too.  Hang on, I'll set my nitpicker to Turbo mode.

#  You should also make sure the system is <quote>clean</quote> before

This is "clean" in a rather nerdy sense (cf. the way an "unclean"
filesystem may require ritual purification via fsck); and APT also has
a technical meaning of its own for "apt clean".  What we're really
trying to say here is something more like "stable"... but we can't use
that word either.

#   proceeding with the upgrade. If you are a user of another package manager
#   like <systemitem role="package">aptitude</systemitem> or <systemitem
#   role="package">synaptic</systemitem>, review any pending actions. If a
#   package is scheduled for removal or update in the package manager, it might

Is it possible for a scheduled *update* (or I think it means
"upgrade") to cause trouble?  After all, as soon as I call for a
dist-upgrade they're *all* going to be scheduled for an upgrade.
There can be problems if the pending upgrade pulls in extra packages,
but then the real issue is that a package is scheduled for
installation.  In fact maybe it should be:

    If a package is scheduled in the package manager for installation or removal,

Or am I missing possibilities?

#   negatively impact the upgrade procedure. Note that correcting this is only
#   possible if your APT source-list files still point to
#   <emphasis>&oldreleasename;</emphasis> and not to
#   <xref linkend="old-sources"/>.

("Negatively impact" makes me think of "rapid unscheduled
disassembly".)