Re: Move of DDP SVN repository to Salsa?

Hi,

On Tue, May 08, 2018 at 03:26:26PM +0200, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> Is anyone currently working on moving the entire DDP SVN repository from Alioth
> to Salsa?

Not me.  But I am working on similar things so here is my thought.

> It appears the tasks listed below are still outstanding, I can work on these or
> split the work with others. Any volunteers?
>
> Please feel free to add to the list below of tasks. If there are people who can
> help with the list below maybe we should first put it in the Wiki to
> coordinate.
>
> Tasks to do
> ----------------
>
> To move DDP to Salsa, the following needs to be done:
>
> - Create a project in Salsa [ DONE - https://salsa.debian.org/debian/ddp

I see you created ddp "project" under Debian group.

But many other teams with many projects under a group create their own
purpose "group".

  https://salsa.debian.org/dashboard/groups has many "group"s.
    https://salsa.debian.org/debian-ayatana-team
    https://salsa.debian.org/webmaster-team

I thought we create debian-documentation-team here is the right way.

> - Add all of Alioth's DDP users to Salsa

Currently, there is no easy way to add another group for group, we need
to add debian group to each project as a member.  All *-guest needs to
be added manually.

> - Migrate Alioth DDP SVN to Salsa Git

Although we can make a project (=repo) under debian group and add
debian-documentation-team as a member for each project, creating
projects (=repo) under debian-documentation-team group may be better in
future.  We need to add debian group as a member for each project.

Similar situation is described here:

  https://lists.debian.org/debian-input-method/2018/07/msg00025.html

> - Change www-master.debian.org  for it to update from Salsa's GIT repository
> instead of Alioth's SVN (requires DA support)

We need to update cron script.  Now that is on salsa.

> - Update the Website (more specifically https://www.debian.org/doc/) to point
> to the new location of the repository in all the different pages (https://
> www.debian.org/doc/cvs, but also in the description of the different manuals)
> - Update the Wiki - mainly https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DDP, but also links to
> repository in other pages (such as https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseNotes)
> - Change and upload the different documentation packages to update the VCS URL
> (at least debian-faq and debian-doc)

Yes. One more point.  If you continue to build web page from VCS, that
is one way and very CPU intensive if PDF are generated.

Many DDP documents have moved to build web page from published unstable
package approach.  maint-guide, debian-reference,  debian-handbook, ....
All these package need to be migrated to salsa.  (They are already in
git so migration are easy)
  https://salsa.debian.org/webmaster-team/cron/blob/master/parts/7doc

If you use this approach, only cron script update is needed.  No need to
access VCS server.

cron script needs to be adjusted if building method is changed from VCS
to unpacking of unstable package.
  https://salsa.debian.org/webmaster-team/cron

For https://www.debian.org/doc/ pages, we need to update:
  https://salsa.debian.org/webmaster-team/webwml