Re: debian-faq: notes on systemd obsolete

Joost van Baal-Ilić wrote:

> > > Uh, there is no such file, at least on my system,
>
> I have systemd 232-25+deb9u1 installed, which gets shipped with Debian 9.1
> stretch; this systemd ships /lib/systemd/system/rc.local.service , which says
>
> [...]
> # This unit gets pulled automatically into multi-user.target by
> # systemd-rc-local-generator if /etc/rc.local is executable.
> [Unit]
> Description=/etc/rc.local Compatibility
> [...]

So it'll only exist if the system has had an rc.local file added,
which by default won't be the case.  (Personally I've always preferred
@boot cronjobs, and now I'm switching to systemd timers.)  Oh, I see -
if I'm correctly understanding systemd.generator(7), it's generated
during early boot (or daemon-reload).  Well, that's good.

> > > and this seems to be
> > > talking as if admins were meant to create it in /lib/systemd/.  Don't
> > > local modifications go in /etc/systemd/?  Wouldn't users need lots
> > > more help to be able to create a working .service file from scratch?
>
> So, I guess we're fine with the current text.

Yes and no.  If that file gets generated transparently any time it's
needed, doesn't exist otherwise, and shouldn't be edited, why are we
making such a big deal about this implementation detail?  Instead of:

 run customized scripts in the file <tt>/etc/rc.local</tt> after boot-up,
 similar to what's offered on Debian systems running System-V style init.

couldn't it just say:

 script then it will be run during boot-up, giving an easy way to run custom commands.
                                          ^
(Optional extra: insert "via rc.local.service".)