Re: debian-faq: notes on systemd obsolete

Vincent McIntyre wrote:
> Joost van Baal-Ilić wrote:
> > +System-V style Unix systems, systemd provides <i>targets</i>.  You may check
> > +the default target by the command
>
> This seems in need of a little "intro" phrase:
>
>  +<p>To control the order in which service are started, traditional System-V style
                                     services
Number agreement fix.

>  +To display the default target to which systemd will bring the system,
>  +run the command

I would rephrase that:
                                       These are replaced by <i>targets</i> under systemd.
    To display systemd's default target, run the command

> > +
> > +  <example>systemctl get-default</example>
> > +
> > +<p>During boot-up, systemd start the services or other targets listed in the
>
> plural:
> +<p>During boot-up, systemd starts the services or other targets listed in the
>
> > +default target file <tt>/lib/systemd/system/default.target</tt>.  The files for
> > +these services and targets are installed during Debian package installation.
>
> Missing text?:
>
>  +Usually, a package providing a service controlled by systemd
>  +will <i>enable</i> it at installation time.

Postscript revised version:

< The files for these services and targets are installed during Debian
< package installation and the service provided by the package will be
< packages service during boot-up, instead of removing the installed
< package, you can run the command

How about just:

  The files for these services and targets are installed, and the service
  is <i>enabled</i>, during Debian package installation. If [...]

> > +If you explicitly do not wish to run a packages service during boot-up, instead

Missing apostrophe; implies it stops running after boot:

     If you specifically wish not to start a package's service during boot-up, instead

Though this also unnecessarily assumes a service-per-package model,
which leads to further trouble:

> > +of removing the installed package, you can run the command
> > +
> > +
> > +where <i>package</i>.service is the service file installed in

This is talking as if packages were guaranteed to ship a .service
file named after the package, which isn't true - see e.g. sshd.service
in openssh-server.  So maybe it needs to be something like:

     If you specifically wish not to start a service during boot-up, instead
     of removing the corresponding package, you can run the command
     using the name of the service file installed in
     <tt>/lib/systemd/system</tt> (usually based on the name of the
     package).</p>

Is that enough to let us get away with writing package.service in
later paragraphs?

> > +
>
> concept: we seem to be using italics for those

Uh, there is no such file, at least on my system, and this seems to be
talking as if admins were meant to create it in /lib/systemd/.  Don't
local modifications go in /etc/systemd/?  Wouldn't users need lots
more help to be able to create a working .service file from scratch?

> > +run customized scripts in the file <tt>/etc/rc.local</tt> after boot-up,
> > +similar to what's offered on Debian systems running System-V style init.
> > +Beware: this script will fail if it has interaction to the console such as
>
>  +Beware: this script will fail if it tries to interact with the console, such as
>
> > +asking for a user password or if it tries to clear the screen.</p>

Make that
    asking for a user password or trying to clear the screen.</p>

> > +
> > +<p>You can check the status of any service by the command
> > +
> > +  <example>systemctl status package.service</example>
> > +
> > +.</p>
> > +
> > +<p>For more information on systemd for Debian, see <nurl
>
> Typo?:
>  +<p>For more information on systemd for Debian, see <url
>
> > +id="https://wiki.debian.org/systemd";>.
> > +
> > +
> > +<sect id="sysvinit">And how about Debian and traditional System V init</sect>
> > +
> > + other ways of booting?</sect>

What's going on with this sentence?

[...]