Re: pine (was: Re: debian-faq: patch5 to remove some outdated content)

On Mon, May 09, 2016 at 08:50:25PM +0200, Holger Wansing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andrzej Bylicki <anpaby5@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Per notable examples, I would also mention the broadcom-sta driver
> > (non-free, but available as source code, pulled from upstream [Broadcom])
> > and the Adobe Flash plugin (non-free and only available as binary 'blob',
> > pulled from upstream [Adobe]).
> >
> > Broadcom wireless adapters are popular and Flash is still being used in
> > combination with Firefox/Iceweasel.
> >
> > Would those be OK?
>
> It might be useful, to document these two szenarios, so here we go:

> 	be available for packages in the "contrib" and "non-free" directories,
> 	which are not formally part of the Debian system.
> 	There are some packages, for which the source code is available,
> 	but not distributable via the Debian archive, so it has to be pulled
> 	from the site of the origin author or company when installing.
> 	Examples for this case are the <tt>broadcom-sta-*</tt> packages, a
> 	driver for Broadcom wireless adapters.
> 	Moreover to this, the source code might not be available at all
> 	and only a binary "blob" is distributed by the origin company.
> 	A notable example for this is the Adobe Flash plugin in the
> 	<tt>flashplugin-nonfree</tt> package.
>

> Comments?

But was the mention of nvidia dropped deliberately or accidentally?
Is nvidia not one of these binary blob packages?  Or was it just a
matter of the paragraph being long enough already?

-- hendrik

> Maybe from Justin regarding the grammar? ;-)

I have no problems with the grammar.  But then I'm Canadian, not
English, and English is actually my second languge (albeit the one
I know best).

-- hendrik