Re: pine (was: Re: debian-faq: patch5 to remove some outdated content)

Hi,

Andrzej Bylicki <anpaby5@gmail.com> wrote:
> Per notable examples, I would also mention the broadcom-sta driver
> (non-free, but available as source code, pulled from upstream [Broadcom])
> and the Adobe Flash plugin (non-free and only available as binary 'blob',
> pulled from upstream [Adobe]).
>
> Broadcom wireless adapters are popular and Flash is still being used in
> combination with Firefox/Iceweasel.
>
> Would those be OK?

It might be useful, to document these two szenarios, so here we go:

	be available for packages in the "contrib" and "non-free" directories,
	which are not formally part of the Debian system.
	There are some packages, for which the source code is available,
	but not distributable via the Debian archive, so it has to be pulled
	from the site of the origin author or company when installing.
	Examples for this case are the <tt>broadcom-sta-*</tt> packages, a
	driver for Broadcom wireless adapters.
	Moreover to this, the source code might not be available at all
	and only a binary "blob" is distributed by the origin company.
	A notable example for this is the Adobe Flash plugin in the
	<tt>flashplugin-nonfree</tt> package.

Comments?

Maybe from Justin regarding the grammar? ;-)

Holger

> ~Andy Mender
>
> On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 8:44 PM, Holger Wansing <linux@wansing-online.de>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

> > to the restrictions
> > <tt>pine</tt>, see

> > such
> > source code.

> > https://packages.debian.org/publicfile-installer .

> > > Isn't one of those packages nvidia's own drivers?  That is, at least,
> > > an important one, and may be worth a mention.
> >
> > That's mostly covered by the next sentence, I think:

> > and "non-free" directories, which are not formally part of the Debian
> > system.
> >

> > We could enhance that a bit, maybe:

> >   source code may or may not be available for packages in the "contrib"
> >   and "non-free" directories, which are not formally part of the Debian
> > system.
> >   Notable examples for this are <tt>nvidia-*</tt> driver packages.
> >
> > Does such text fit for the nvidia drivers packages?

Created with Sylpheed 3.5.0 under
	D E B I A N   L I N U X   8 . 0   " J E S S I E " .