Re: Please mention Debian Administrator's Manual in the main list of documentation

Hi,

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> www.debian.org/doc/ "Quick start"
> These are direct link to the document itself on the Debian server.
> So this is not for "The Debian Administrator's Handbook"

Given that the first paragraph says “If you are new to Debian we recommend
you start first by reading:” I believe that the chapters 1 and 4 of the
Debian Administrator's Handbook answer quite well those questions
(presenting the Debian project and explaining the installation process):

Have a look:
https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/the-debian-project.html
https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/installation.html

Don't trust my judgment, ask someone new whether he prefers to discover
Debian by reading those two chapters or the official Debian FAQ and the
official installation manual.

I'm obviously biased, but I believe it would be certainly highly
beneficial to direct new users to those chapters too in complement to the
existing links.

For that matter, since those chapters are the start of the book, you could
as well just recommend to read the first chapters of the book for a quick
start into Debian.

> www.debian.org/doc/ "Manuals specific to Debian - Users' manuals"
> These are list of actively maintained documentations with indirect link
> via https://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals pages. There we can list
> package or web-page or remote links.  Since "The Debian Administrator's
> Handbook" has package in archive, listing it in
> https://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals page for its package and remote
> link to URL: http://debian-handbook.info is OK.

Fine.

For the record, I have no problem with "deep-links", you can directly
point to the online version of the book:
https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/ (same as en-US below)
https://debian-handbook.info/browse/en-US/stable/
https://debian-handbook.info/browse/fr-FR/stable/
(similar URL for other languages, see git repository for full list of
languages)

> Yah, "DFSG" is the good requirement for listing around DDP related pages.
>
> What do you think about my plan described in the above.

I gave my opinion above, but obviously I'm fine with whatever you end up
deciding. It can only be better from my point of view. :-)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer