Re: Please mention Debian Administrator's Manual in the main list of documentation

Hi,

Very quick :-)

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 02:38:35PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi Osamu,
>
> thanks for the cc.
>
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2015, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > On the other side, I'm not sure if "user manuals" is for the
> > > documentation maintained by the Debian Documentation Project (and then,
> > > the Handbook shouldn't be there, even if there is a package available,
> > > several translations, and it's DFSG-free).
> >
> > "Debian Documentation Project" is very loose organization.  Whoever made
> > any useful DFSG documentation as DD (or DD wannabe) are the member.
> >
> > Raphaël Hertzog and Roland Mas are DDs and sure they can be a member if
> > they wish.
>
> Strictly speaking I am a member of the associated Unix group... due to my
> work on developers-reference at that time. But I agree with you that the
> team is very loosely defined and it doesn't make much sense to restrict
> that page in any such way.
>
> > If we wish to publish this on our www.debian.org/doc/ site, all I have
> > to do is add the debian-handbook to the list of documentation published
> > via cron script
> >  git clone ssh://git.debian.org/git/debwww/cron.git
> >  specifically parts/7docs
> >
> > This unpacks packages and publishes them on our www.debian.org/doc/ site.
>
> I would prefer if we could keep a simple reference to the main site that I
> maintain instead of hosting a full copy of it because as you noted the
> version hosted on my website includes a link towards a download page where
> readers can also donate. And it's also more regularly updated than the
> package (in particular for translations). You can still provide
> individuals links for each translation and possibly also links to the
> different formats available...

www.debian.org/doc/ "Quick start"
These are direct link to the document itself on the Debian server.
So this is not for "The Debian Administrator's Handbook"

www.debian.org/doc/ "Manuals specific to Debian - Users' manuals"
These are list of actively maintained documentations with indirect link
via https://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals pages. There we can list
package or web-page or remote links.  Since "The Debian Administrator's
Handbook" has package in archive, listing it in
https://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals page for its package and remote
link to URL: http://debian-handbook.info is OK.

The text "There are also several user-oriented manuals written for
Debian GNU/Linux, available as printed books." is too weak in the
www.debian.org/doc/ page.  Adding some title there may be good idea to
point people to https://www.debian.org/doc/books.en.html

> But I fully agree that useful documentation should be listed in /doc/ even
> when it has not been produced under the "Debian Doc" umbrella. That team
> has always been a loosely defined team and most of the documents tend to
> have dedicated maintainers with relatively few overlap between all the
> documents.
>
> So IMO we should find a way to include links in that page. What matters is
> to make useful DFSG-free content available to our users.

Yah, "DFSG" is the good requirement for listing around DDP related pages.

What do you think about my plan described in the above.

I do not see any conflict of interest for apt-doc aptitude-doc-* and
debian-kernel-handbook.  So I will be adding them and publishing their
contents on www.debian.org, eventually.

Osamu