Re: Please mention Debian Administrator's Manual in the main list of documentation

Hi,  https://bugs.debian.org/721215

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 01:29:57AM +0200, Laura Arjona Reina wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> If you refer to "The Debian Administration Handbook" (the first
> reference listed in the subpage https://www.debian.org/doc/books), I
> have no clear idea about what to do.
>
> On one side, the reference should stay there even if we add an entry in
> "user manuals", because it's a printed book.

I think we should keep it there in https://www.debian.org/doc/books.
Question is where else we should list it and how.

> On the other side, I'm not sure if "user manuals" is for the
> documentation maintained by the Debian Documentation Project (and then,
> the Handbook shouldn't be there, even if there is a package available,
> several translations, and it's DFSG-free).

"Debian Documentation Project" is very loose organization.  Whoever made
any useful DFSG documentation as DD (or DD wannabe) are the member.

Raphaël Hertzog and Roland Mas are DDs and sure they can be a member if
they wish.

 URL link from https://www.debian.org/doc/books goes to:
 git clone git://anonscm.debian.org/debian-handbook/debian-handbook.git
 https://packages.qa.debian.org/d/debian-handbook.html

So we already have the debian-handbook package on our archive.

If we wish to publish this on our www.debian.org/doc/ site, all I have
to do is add the debian-handbook to the list of documentation published
via cron script
 git clone ssh://git.debian.org/git/debwww/cron.git
 specifically parts/7docs

This unpacks packages and publishes them on our www.debian.org/doc/ site.

Then update webwml (CVS?) english file in webwml/english/doc
to be included.

But isn't it right to ask Raphael if he wishes to be listed?  He is
asking donation on his page pointed from
https://www.debian.org/doc/books and may not wish to be listed on
Debian.

> Finally, I suppose we could change the title of the section "Other,
> shorter documents" to "Other, and shorter documents" and include a link
> as first reference in that section, but I think it's not a good solution.

No not there.  That is for obsolete manuals.

If we list, it should be above
 Debian Reference, the primary manual for users
or  in
  Manuals specific to Debian
    Users' manuals

Hmmmm... as for "Users' manuals", these are good candidate for the
listing in https://www.debian.org/doc/

 debian-handbook
 debian-kernel-handbook
 apt-doc
 aptitude-doc-*

Maybe we should add them all.

Regards,

Osamu
CC maintainer of debian-kernel-handbook and debian-handbook