Re: Please mention Debian Administrator's Manual in the main list of documentation

Hi Osamu,

thanks for the cc.

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > On the other side, I'm not sure if "user manuals" is for the
> > documentation maintained by the Debian Documentation Project (and then,
> > the Handbook shouldn't be there, even if there is a package available,
> > several translations, and it's DFSG-free).
>
> "Debian Documentation Project" is very loose organization.  Whoever made
> any useful DFSG documentation as DD (or DD wannabe) are the member.
>
> Raphaël Hertzog and Roland Mas are DDs and sure they can be a member if
> they wish.

Strictly speaking I am a member of the associated Unix group... due to my
work on developers-reference at that time. But I agree with you that the
team is very loosely defined and it doesn't make much sense to restrict
that page in any such way.

> If we wish to publish this on our www.debian.org/doc/ site, all I have
> to do is add the debian-handbook to the list of documentation published
> via cron script
>  git clone ssh://git.debian.org/git/debwww/cron.git
>  specifically parts/7docs
>
> This unpacks packages and publishes them on our www.debian.org/doc/ site.

I would prefer if we could keep a simple reference to the main site that I
maintain instead of hosting a full copy of it because as you noted the
version hosted on my website includes a link towards a download page where
readers can also donate. And it's also more regularly updated than the
package (in particular for translations). You can still provide
individuals links for each translation and possibly also links to the
different formats available...

But I fully agree that useful documentation should be listed in /doc/ even
when it has not been produced under the "Debian Doc" umbrella. That team
has always been a loosely defined team and most of the documents tend to
have dedicated maintainers with relatively few overlap between all the
documents.

So IMO we should find a way to include links in that page. What matters is
to make useful DFSG-free content available to our users.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer