Re: Newbie friendly security and firewall docs (cookbook?)

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 06:50:18AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >On Mi, 08 oct 14, 08:49:44, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >>
> >>I think the type of material I'm looking for should be in the "Debian
> >>GNU/Linux Installation Guide". It is the one document _every_ new user is
> >>told to read.
> >>I'll take a stab at putting selected content in a form suitable for the
> >>Installation Guide. This weekend looks open. I'll send my attempt to you
> >>off-list.
> >
> >Probably not a good idea, because:
> >
> >1. Things like this should be in public, even better filed as a patch in
> >the BTS
> >2. Javier is not the Maintainer of the Installation Guide, the Debian
> >Installer Team is (list debian-boot)

Yah, to be official and to include in Javi's work takes more than just
write short HOWTO's.  Editorial and translation synchronization are
overhead.

> I will still forward my attempt to Javier because:
> *  I take the last paragraph as an invitation to give specific feedback.
> *  that whatever I come up with will *REQUIRE* proofreading before I would
> dare
>     submit as a patch. My modification would primarily be pruning what a
> newbie
>     would see as distractions. The act of pruning could create errors of
> fact
>     when done by someone with as little expertise as I.

Anyway, the first thing is write it out.  Let me point out that the
lower barrier entry point exists for you to start.

  https://wiki.debian.org

There you can publish your writing as long as you register your mail
address to get the login right.  The account comes with initial user web
page.  In my case:
  https://wiki.debian.org/OsamuAoki
I create page initially from this page for HOWTOs of minor topics.

When content becomes good enough, look for appropriate page to link
from.  Maybe one of the followings depending on what you write.
  https://wiki.debian.org/QuickInstall
  https://wiki.debian.org/SystemAdministration
  https://wiki.debian.org/SecurityManagement

Regards,