Re: Newbie friendly security and firewall docs (cookbook?)

On 6 October 2014 13:53, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
In the context of -doc the only document I'm aware of is the Securing
Debian HOWTO.

I've attempted to digest it. It's too complete - e.g. it talks about securing features [web servers etc] that I do not believe should exist on a system used by my target audience [including myself].

Yes, the document is targeted towards a sysadmin audience, not a desktop user. That being said, it should be easy to write a "Security for desktops" chapter more targeted towards end-users including do's and dont's and recommended best practices there.

While it will probably contain all the information you
require, but it's entirely possible it might scare your friend a bit.

It scares me ;/

Please go through chapter 2 "Before you begin" and 3 "Before and during the installation". I think those chapters can be easily applied to a desktop environment. If they "scare you" maybe we have to tone down the content.

Best regards

Javier