Re: LaTeX to PO, and DDP hosting for the Packaging Tutorial

On 10/05/11 at 10:24 -0400, David Prévot wrote:
> Le 07/05/2011 21:16, Osamu Aoki a écrit :
>
> > Since this is in LateX and po4a can support LaTeX source, once we move
> > this to DDP, it may be trivial to add French version :-)
> >  (man 3 Locale::Po4a::LaTeX)
>
> Jean-Philippe just proposed to translate it into French, and I gave a
> first shot to Locale::Po4a::LaTeX, result of the following command attached:
>
> 	po4a-gettextize -o definitions=perso -f latex \
> 	-m packaging-tutorial.tex -p packaging-tutorial.pot
>
> Where perso contains:
>
> 	% po4a: command author []{}
> 	% po4a: command -date {_}
> 	% po4a: command frame {}
> 	% po4a: environment axis []
> 	% po4a: environment frame []{_}
> 	% po4a: verbatim environment lstlisting
> 	% po4a: environment tikzpicture []
>
> I'd welcome some comment and help to provide a more friendly POT file:

I'm wondering whether it wouldn't be better to translate on a per-slide
basis, rather than on a per-string basis.
Since the goal is to great a visual document, it is likely that some
fine-tuning and restructuring will be needed within some slides (to
avoid line wrapper, for example)

> - kick away the “ \\hbr” and “ \\br” stuff;

no, that's useful to make the presentation look nicer.

> - kick away the \mode<presentation>, \usetheme{debian} and alike;

yes, could be moved to a separate file

> - offer directly the content of pdftitle (instead of pdftitle={Debian
> Packaging Tutorial},bookmarks…

I'm not sure of what you mean (I must admit I don't know po4a, despite
having its original dev in the office next to me).

> Modifying the packaging-tutorial.tex source (to make it po4a-friendly)
> is an option if needed.

Sure

> I've added the po4a devel list in order to gather more idea, source is
> available at:
>
> 	git://git.debian.org/~lucas/packaging-tutorial.git
>
> BTW, if we are to provide a way to easily translate this Tutorial, maybe
> could we host it inside the DDP (provided that Lucas agrees to move the
> development to the Subversion repository).

Yes, I agree to host it within DDP. Is switching to svn really a
requirement in the process? If we can host it on the DDP git repo, I
would prefer that. If we can't, never mind, and let's use svn.

- Lucas