Re: Packaging Tutorial

Hi,

On Sat, May 07, 2011 at 11:06:20AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working on a packaging tutorial (see [1]).
>
> [1] http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=676
>
> I'm looking for suggestions from debian-doc@ to maximize exposure of the
> tutorial. Currently, the tutorial is not linked from anywhere, and not
> packaged, but I'm not sure of what would be the best way(s) to advertise
> it to prospective readers.

I saw it few days ago and looks nice.

It does not have as much bias toward dh7 (New NM guide is very biased
and this was my delivarate choice.)

By the way, I just rebumped NM guide just recently.
  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html

For sarge updates, many people was asking non-technical intoduction.  I
decided not to do so and waited for the recent update.  I basically gave
pointers only to such thing in "1.1. Social dynamics of Debian".
There, I included: Debian: "17 years of Free Software, "do-ocracy", and
democracy" by Stefano Zacchiroli which does very good slide
presentation.

I am thinking to add this LaTeX based slides as one of the project web
page, if possible.  Then we do not need to use much of the non-debian
server capacity.  Javi used to put some slides on DDP but that was not
so publicised (maybe because they were spanish??? I do not recall much).
The only thing we need to agree is which directory tree o use and which
cron script manages this build.(And who?)  DDP is very quiet these days.

Of course, I am thinking to give pointer from NM guide.  I think in
"1.3. Documentation needed for development", adding one paragraph with
itemized list (currently only your 4 slides.) may be a good start
if you do not mind.

Something along:
| The following is the alternative tutorial documentation which you may
| read along with this document:
|  * Debian Packaging Tutorial

Regards,

Osamu

PS: I was keeping myself busy to convert as much old SGML docs to XML
using new conversion path whi ig becoming quite useful.