Re: release notes clarification and the situation for Romanian

Quoting Jens Seidel <jensseidel@users.sf.net>:
> On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 10:41:44AM +0000, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> > On 2009-02-06 10:14, Jens Seidel wrote:
> > > PS: Building the last Release Notes took more than 12 hours on
> www-master.
> >
> > dblatex is much faster on lenny than on etch. Also, po4a seems
> > to eat a lot of time. The more translations we have, the longer
> > it takes.
>
> Right, I remember that updating PO files can took hours with po4a (to find
> via msgmerge similar already translated fuzzy messages, it's probably
> O(n^2)).
> But just building DocBook/XML files from PO should need only seconds?!

Indeed: "should". I have no idea, why it takes so long. (Btw. on
lenny po4a is even a little bit slower than on etch.)

> PS: Why has Spanish always problems building on www-master? Spanish is really
> not an exotic language but the log contains:
>
> es/whats-new.dbk:595: parser error : StartTag: invalid element name
>  con linux-image-2.6 fallen si está usando una versión 2.2 o 2.4 del núcleo.<
>
> followed by many further errors.

Looks like the translator put a wrong element into the XML, maybe
an obsolete SGML one. I almost daily fix XML errors in most
translations...

> Another question: Why is the net access of xsltproc disabled (--nonet)?
> (That's maybe required on buildds but also on www-master?) Whouldn't it solve
> the errors:

This is on purpose. The build process should not access the net and
really does not need it. The error messages must be ignored. The
newer xsltproc (lenny) does not print this messages anymore, IIRC.
The DTDs are not needed for the build process anyway, but even if
they would be needed, they would be accessed using XML catalogs.

HTH!