Re: release notes and msgid-previous (was: Re: (forw) Release update: deep freeze, planned dates, and remaining bugs

Thanks again for explaining, Jens. :)

On 06/02/2009, at 1:01 AM, Jens Seidel wrote:

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:22:53AM +1030, Clytie Siddall wrote:
On 05/02/2009, at 11:29 PM, Jens Seidel wrote:
On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:23:23PM +1030, Clytie Siddall wrote:
I've copied the svn-updated release-notes/Makefile into release-
notes/
vi/

The Makefile should not be copied into vi/. It assumes to be located
at the top
level directory of the Release Notes.

Umm... I've left the original Makefile where it is, just made another
copy in /vi and modified that. But if I modify the Makefile for the
top-level directory, and commit the change, won't it affect all the
languages? And if I don't commit the change, it won't affect the files
in /vi when po4a is run on the server ?

Right. But please note that po4a isn't called automatically during the
build but only manually from time to time. Adapting the Makefile isn't possible
because ...

... hmm, why?
Ah, because it *was* called automatically during each build and this failed on the build host. But as it has to happen manually now it is save to enable the --previous option. Every user of the Makefile in an Etch system should just locally remove it again but I assume most active contributors use already
Lenny.

I committed the option change in r6219.

No need for further action from your side. Your code is currently btw
up-to-date.

Thanks for doing that. I just finished translating the current Release- Notes, and committed my changes. So, when the original strings are changed again (e.g. taking care of some of the remaining TODO's), my files will use msgid-previous?

Where should I look to keep track of changes to the original strings? I don't want to miss updating them, especially now I have a complete translation (I like being at 100% :D ). And do we have a status webpage for the Release Notes, like we do for the Installation Guide?

I can run very basic svn commands now, so with a bit of luck, I'll recover
enough  concentration to do a little more on the command-line.

You have to learn, learn, learn ... :-)

Unfortunately, my problems are due to illness [1], and have affected my memory and concentration. So I can't access most of the things I used to know (pre-disease, I lectured in computing, mathematics and English), including all my machine languages and most of my human languages. (Luckily, the English-Vietnamese switch still works in my head, probably because of its strong emotional links.) For the past few months, I haven't been able to read or write at all: that's why I haven't been able to participate here. Luckily, I have finally recovered a little capacity, so I've started updating translations again. I'll be delighted if I recover enough concentration to use the command-line more: every little bit of extra capacity means a lot in my situation.

Mechanically, learning isn't just about understanding something, it's also about being able to retain and access that knowledge. My brain has file-addressing issues. ;)

(The most embarrassing moments are when I can't remember the names of my own children! I know their faces, but not their names.)

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n

[1] I've been severely disabled by this disease for 15 years, but one of the things I love about the Net is that until recently, having access to a laptop and Net connection meant I could be just like everyone else here. I could participate, too, and not have to explain about the disease. I would have a few days or a week or two out of action every now and then, but I could catch up without it really being noticeable. However, in the last couple of years, the disease has started taking me completely out of action for several months at a time, and will eventually do so permanently, so I've had to explain why. Not my favourite topic. :S