repository-howto etc.: action plan proposal

Hi Aaron and others:

I thank Aaron's contribution and propose followings:

Proposal:

1. "Debian Repository HOWTO"

Unless someone strongly objects, I propose "Debian Repository HOWTO" to
be marked obsolete in its text clearly and move its lead-in index at
http://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals to
http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp#other to reflect current status.

(I am not suggesting to remove these as web pages.)

2. "Distributing Debs"

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/distribute-deb/distribute-deb.html#package-repository

Also I propose to update "Creating a Package Repository" in his "How
Software Producers Can Distribute Their Products Directly in DEB Format"
to point to:

  http://wiki.debian.org/HowToSetupADebianRepository

3. "Distributing Debs"

I see other contents are getting somewhat outdated.  If someone wish to
update this to newer situation 7 years after original situation, we
welcome such contribution.  Please file proposed patch etc. :-)

This is nice entry tutorial documentation candidate which cover contents
outside of maint-guide("Debian New Maintainers' Guide")

Rationale:

See message exchange between me and Karl on your document and
apt-ftparchive.

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 09:08:54AM +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 23:21:00 +0900
> Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> > It is used to generate packages/sources/contents lists only.
> > It does not /move/.
>
> Which brings us back to the first point. [1] states
>   "apt-ftparchive is used to move a collection of Debian package
> files ...".
> But it _does_ _not_ move anything! It generates files. it doesn't
> _move_ them.
> [1]
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/repository-howto/repository-howto.en.html#pools

Now I see Karl's point.  This may be what happens with an outdated document.
Debian is moving target.

I agree that this is incorrect at least for archive after we introduced pool
system.  (This may have been correct long time before when we did not have pool
and moved package to release name based repository.  I do not
remember...)

Current man page of apt-ftparchive states:

       apt-ftparchive - Utility to generate index files
       apt-ftparchive is the command line tool that generates the index files
       that APT uses to access a distribution source. The index files should
       be generated on the origin site based on the content of that site.

There are no /move/ mentioned :-)

I just put small notice at problematic location only now.  But this
document is quite prominent at:
 http://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals

As I read Aaron's document, this is pre-secureAPT and linked to
obsoleted apt-howto.  This was never release as package.  Unless Aaron
updates this to be current, I think we need to move this to obsoleted
documentation and mark these so to prevent people mislead.

I also recall Aaron recommended repropro due to limitation Aaron felt
with apt-ftparchive.  (I can not find URL now but it was somewhere like:
http://www.isotton.com )

Actual APT archive information is summarized at:
 http://wiki.debian.org/HowToSetupADebianRepository

I think apt-ftparchive is useful and I have created APT package system
documentation in line with the recent secureAPT etc. in Debian Reference
for normal users too:

 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_debian_package_management_internals
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_small_public_package_archive

"Debian Policy" and "Developers Reference" have been updated so they are
much easier to understand too.

Osamu