Re: Please proof-read Debian 5.0 ("lenny") release notes
(Still no mail... looks like the edlug.org.uk mailrelay's down.
Maybe it's connected to the string of local power outages we had
last night. I'll switch to xibalba.demon.co.uk.)
W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> That paragraph has already been changed. Is this better?
> 5.1.9. Sound stops working
> In rare cases, sound might stop working after the upgrade. If
> this happens, go through the alsa checklist:
> ● run alsaconf as root user,
> ● add your user to the audio group,
> ● use alsamixer to make sure, that the sound channel levels are
> up and unmuted,
> ● that arts or esound are not running,
> ● that no OSS modules are loaded, and
> ● the speakers are actually switched on.
> ● Check whether the command
> cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp
> works for root.
Better, but eliding "make sure" like that implies that you're using
alsamixer to make sure of each of the following things.
● run alsaconf as root user,
● add your user to the audio group,
● make sure the sound channel levels are up and unmuted (using alsamixer),
● make sure arts and esound are not running,
● make sure no OSS modules are loaded,
● make sure the speakers are actually switched on, and
● check whether the command
cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp
works for root.