Re: Please proof-read Debian 5.0 ("lenny") release notes

On 2009-01-26 19:49, Justin B Rye wrote:
> 5.1.9's checklist isn't quite a grammatical sentence, but you can
> probably get away with that.

If you don't mind, please give me a hint to fix it anyway.

> 5.2.3 talks about alsa-base configuration needing either hotplug or
> discover installed.  Lenny has no such package as hotplug, and its
> alsa-base Depends on discover.  Stale?

Hm, alsa-base conflicts with certain versions of discover, but
which Depends do you mean?

> 5.6 has some phrasing I'm worried about for a new and different
> reason: I'm not sure what it means.  In the clause "when it is not
> in use", what is "it"?  The computer?  Network Manager?  NIS client
> functionality?   (It might be easier to guess if the explanation
> used some clearer description than "not in use".)

Good question. I believe(!), it's "Network Manager". Could
people shed light on the issue?

> 5.7 uses "respective" in an un-anglophone way.  Substitute
> "appropriate".  But there's also a reference to php4, so please
> also check whether this whole item is stale.

Removed the whole section.

> 5.10 has a misplaced apostrophe: "in user's home directories".
> Plural users, so "in users' home directories".  What's this about
> GTK1.2 being fully maintained?  Then why
> http://wiki.debian.org/Gtk1.2ImlibGnome1Removals ?

I believe(!), everything but the last paragraph from this
section can be removed.

> 6.3 (last paragraph): what's this about "reference cards" in
> /usr/share/doc/debian?  I see no cards here!  Does it mean
> /usr/share/doc/debian/bug-reporting.txt?

Mystic. No idea. Seems to be in the release notes since long
time. Maybe "reference documentation"?

> A.1 talks about the package list containing "etch packages" - is
> that a typo for something like "etch lines"?  "etch references"?

Changed to "references to etch". OK?

> Now, that was i386/release-notes.  How do I check for divergences in
> other architectures?

You can now build the release notes with architecture=all, which
is just a pseudonym for including all conditional text:

$ make txt LINGUA=en architecture=all

Thanks again for your help!