Re: SVN finally fully enabled as source for website manuals

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 07:54:06PM +0200, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 07:09:41PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > We extract files from documentation packages - in places where it is
> > necessary. If you want we (webmaster, debwww) can make it so for developer's
> > reference, and then re-link the main indices to that location (leaving the
> > SVN-build link separate).
>
> So far, nobody spoke up against it. How can I help to change the
> process?

Well, the difference between me pasting the path you tell me and doing
dpkg-deb -c on the .deb package is minor :)

> > If you want dblatex upgraded on the www-master machine, please make sure
> > that a stable backport exists on backports.org and file an RT ticket at
> > rt.debian.org, DSA queue.
>
> To me the first method sounds like the easier and secure one,
> esp. in the long run.

It would still make sense to do it in the long run, because the automatic
build on www-master is a good regression test, and it allows people to
preview the newest versions of documents without having to use VCS and
without having them packaged.

> (E.g. AFAIK, backports.org has no official security support.)

That shouldn't really matter for these things, because they build docs from
reasonably safe data (with a trail in VCS), and even if that gets corrupted,
they build under a special unprivileged user so any impact would be limited.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.