Re: should we recommend apt-get or aptitude?

On 13/11/08 09:54, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> On 2008-11-13 21:58, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
>> One question I haven't seen addressed in this thread (perhaps I haven't
>> looked hard enough) is what impact the use of apt instead of aptitude
>> has on systems that are currently using aptitude.  Will upgrading with
>> apt mean that aptitude will no longer know which packages were expressly
>> requested by the user, and which were installed merely because other
>> packages needed them?  Or has apt-get now progressed to maintain this
>> information?
>
> I learned yesterday from Giovanni, that in that case you would
> have to upgrade both apt and aptitude to the lenny version
> first, run aptitude once, e.g. 'aptitude search "?false"'. This
> is now documented in upgrading.dbk.

The issue we addressed in the release-notes was the conversion of the aptitude's list of automatically-installed packages for use by apt.

The question of Hendrik addresses the opposite issue : if I use apt only for upgrading to lenny and then I turn back to aptitude, will aptitude always know which packages were automatically-installed ?

--
Giovanni