Re: debian-faq_4.0 uploaded, converting translation infrastructure (was: Re: working on Debian FAQ for shipping with lenny: ...)

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 03:34:53AM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 08:56:40AM +0200, Joost van Baal wrote:
> > I've uploaded debian-faq_4.0 to the archive; it's in NEW now.  So,
> > AFAIK, this is the time to convert the translation infrastructure.  As
> > said before, it's likely useful to peek at other documents.  The stuff
> > at svn://svn.d-i.alioth.debian.org/svn/d-i/trunk/manual looks
> > interesting.
>
> Well, the d-i manual is XML-based. More similar to the FAQ are the Release
> Notes which currently use po-sgml. Please look at the Translation section of
> the Readme file there.

Right. Yesterday I also checked the Release Notes and fixed also some
build errors (e.g. in the French translation, parallel make is also not
supported because of the handling of .ent files and other stuff ....).

I noticed that make always warns for PO based translations about
"broken pipe". That's because of a wrong exit status in po4a 0.33.3-1
(Lenny). I reported it as #477458.

If you want to add PO support to Debian FAQ there is nearly nothing to
do:

Copy Makefile.common and Readme from Release Notes and adapt paths.
Each translation team can after this follow the procedure as described
in the SVN log of the initial Japanese PO file translation of the
Release Notes:

Revision 3983 - (view) (download) - [select for diffs]
 Added Thu Nov 16 07:44:24 2006 UTC (17 months, 1 week ago) by jseidel
File length: 132098 byte(s)
Generated release-notes.ja.po from release-notes.ja.sgml with following
command:
po4a-gettextize -v -f sgml -m ../en/release-notes.en.sgml \
  -l release-notes.ja.sgml -L euc-jp -p release-notes.ja.po.tmp \
  -o ignore-inclusion="dynamicdata shareddata" 2> /dev/null \
  && iconv -f EUC-JP -t UTF-8 release-notes.ja.po.tmp \
  | sed -e "s/euc-jp/utf-8/" | msgattrib --clear-fuzzy > release-notes.ja.po

Please note that the step "msgattrib --clear-fuzzy" requires knowledge
of the language and can only be performed if the SGML file of the translation
matched to 100% the English version.

In the past we also committed both the PO file and the generated SGML file.
This was necessary because the build host was unable to create PO file because
of an outdated po4a version. Not sure whether this still applies (I doubt it,
see SVN log for details).

Jens