Re: Switching from CVS to something else

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 05:05:16PM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 07:46:26PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Alioth also supports CVS, so if you want to keep CVS, you can do that as
> > well. But I encourage you to switch to something else and I can help you to
> > convert the repository if needed.
>
> I would like the history of commits to be preserved as it is sometimes
> necessary to dig contributor's information [1]. Can that be easily preserved
> when switching to a different CVS?

That should not be the issue.  We should be able to that with svn or
with.  (Although my trial with git had some trouble.)

> I agree that moving the documentation CVS over to Alioth will have one
> advantage (adding users, no need for DSA to get involved) but I don't really
> see the advantage of switching to a different VCS for the DDP's repository.

After some thought, I agree.  Just moving to CVS to new CVS is best.
Then each section (like apt-howto) can chose different VCS as long as we
have control over build script.  That is what we lack now.  We only
offer Makefile but its execution and copying to the web is done by
non-DDP resources.

> Regards
>
> Javier
>
> [1] And the current CVS lacks this information for some documents when they
> were last moved from other CVSs into the DDP CVS.

I guess you are talking about log inforamation.  Hmmm... Let me chack my
archive...