Re: documentation for novice and newbies

Thanks all for the posts, some of which I'll reply to sepately.

If a wiki is designed only to make a wiki, then someone can't print out
or download to a second computer one big document to have with them when
they try to do an install.  Personally, I don't like wikis because if I
want to see the next page I have to go back on line to get it.  I like
to download over night and read in the day, I don't do a lot of
online reading since I'm on dialup and need the phone line.

So if we have a wiki it is difficult to produce an html tarball, pdf, or
.deb of a snapshot of the wiki.  Some have said that some wikis do this.
I haven't seen this option on either newbiedoc or wiki.d.o which I think
are the two likely places we would have a wiki if we didn't do our own
on alioth.

On the other hand, anybody who wants to can add to the wiki.

Someone initially suggested we start a project on alioth.debian.org,
that we could have a project mailing list, and a wiki too.  Since I
haven't created a project, I don't know about this.

Does anyone have an objections to me setting up a project on alioth
called "novicedoc"?

Doug.