Re: documentation for novice and newbies

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 08:51:42PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 13:28:56 -0500
> Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> > I need to look around further at alioth but I _think_ that we first
> > need to register a project.  I don't know how easy it is to change the
> > project name later, so I assume its a done deal once done.  If this is
> > the case, can we focus on this first?  I vote for:
> >
> > 	Debian for Newbies and Novices
>
> I find this to be a bit long. Suitable rather for a short description
> (and we don't need to say Debian, alioth is all about Debian) and it
> doesn't say anything about the main purpuse: documentation. "newbiedoc"
> is a good name, I wonder if we could use it/move the project to alioth?
> We could also transfer the existing content under a special section.

Perhaps it is long, although some projects also seem to be long.  I do
see that it is cumbersome.  I did a search for newbie and only got the
linux bookmarks project; a search for novice had no result.

The problem with calling it newbiedoc is that there may be problems with
moving all of newbiedoc (and not all of it is for newbies in the sense
we're using it).  I don't want to try to hijack the newbiedoc project.
We can look at pulling in individual wiki pages from the newbie doc
project on a page by page basis.

A google search for novicedoc only had 2 hits unrelated to computers.
A google search for novicedoc linux OR debian gave no results.
A google search for novicedoc site:debian.org gave no results.

So what about novicedoc as a project title?

I don't know what all questions alioth asks when one registers a
project, but for a short description:

	Novicedoc: documentation for novices (people with no computer
	experience) and newbies (computer people new to linux and/or
	debian)....

Doug.