APT HOWTO, sources.list man page.

Hi there,

I'm a long-time user of Linux, mostly Slackware.  This is my first
Debian installation, I'm trying it out on an AMD64 system.

Largely thanks to outdated and unclear documentation - if I were a
real newbie I'd be in serious trouble by now - it's been hard going
thus far.  Apart from a couple of hiccups with X it's performed well
enough, and I'll persevere until I've beaten it into submission.

I'm very happy to submit documentation patches.  Here is the thing
that's caused me most grief:

In

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-basico.en.html#s-sources.list

(which seems to have been updated last in August 2005) I see in section 2.1

"We usually find the following in the default Debian sources.list:

# See sources.list(5) for more information, especially
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
..."

In the latest release (Etch)

$ man sources.list

still mentions non-us in several places.

Since 'non-US' was apparently made obsolete some time ago, this is misleading.

73,
Ged.

PS: How come emacs isn't installed by default?!