Re: Listing for release notes on DDP pages

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 04:43:25PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > I'll remove the broken link, but we should reconsider publishing the
> > release-notes and the installation manual in the same place on all
> > mirrors, in the doc/ directory, together with the FAQ. It doesn't cost
> > us anything and it makes them even more convenient to find, and we
> > absolutely do want users to find them.
>
> But it also requires a lot of manual processing by FTP-masters which we
> can do without with the current methods, which also means we can work a
> lot quicker.

...which is utterly retarded. Those files can be put into debian/doc/ without
having been through a conventional .changes file with byhand entries, but
nobody cares to implement a way.[1]

Anyway, the whole point of requiring everything to go through .changes files
is simply to get a clear record of uploads and to get verifiable signatures.
Yet, we are publishing directly from whatever random version is currently in
CVS and immediately using that as the official version. That way we didn't
simply avoid the slow 'byhand' process, we went to the other extreme and
created a really abuse-friendly situation. I don't like it.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.

[1] I can't really blame anyone, because I know I never had a really easy
time having to explain and beg for things from ftpmaster-likes.
(When it comes to having to explain and beg for things that should have been
fairly obvious and done already, I must admit that that stopped appealing to
me after all these years. Maybe I'm just a bad person.)