Re: Desktop upgrade strategy - new procedure 'C'

On Wednesday 21 March 2007 23:17, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> Some comments for your B option (looks similar to some of the options
> described in #401317), which is the one I think should be listed first:

Hmm. Rereading #401317 and especially
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=401317;msg=30, we may
indeed have an alternative procedure.

There are quite a few proposed methods in that mail, which were you
referring to? Note that I'm not a fan of Osamu's suggestions as they
don't work for desktop installs.

The new procedure goes as follows:
- aptitude update (/me is still annoyed at the warnings aptitude prints
  when a new source is added for the first time)
- edit sources.list to point to Etch
- aptitude _upgrade_ (the 'aptitude upgrade aptitude' suggested by
  Jonathan is bogus; aptitude is not upgraded by that)
- aptitude install initrd-tools libfam0 xlibmesa-glu (all if installed;
  last two not needed if fixed)
- aptitude unmarkauto openoffice.org
  Possibly we should do the same for 2.6 kernel image packages...
- aptitude dist-upgrade
- aptitude update (get gpg sigs)
- aptitude install linux-2.6-*

After all that there is only a few obsolete packages (slang1, ipchains,
some libs) to be removed.

Let's call this alternative 'C'.
I've tested this and it works fine for a default desktop install. This
also has the advantage of not switching back to apt-get as the primary
package management tool.