faq on ftp mirrors, debian-faq package, VCS for faq/debian/ (was: Re: doc-debian 3.1.3 [...])

Hi,

Op di 14 mrt 2006 om 05:18:32 +0100 schreef Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 04:13:38PM +0100, Joost van Baal wrote:

<snip>
> > BTW, I don't think it is still appropriate for the FAQ to be published
> > on ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/ and all it's mirrors...  The Debian
> > Debian Installation Guide (and maybe Debian Reference) would be more
> > suitable, imho.
>
> Why not? All projects ship the FAQ in their mirrors.

Mandriva doesn't, Red Hat doesn't, Fedora doesn't, SUSE doesn't, Open
SUSE doesn't, Gentoo doesn't.  (Lot's do, 'though.)  Some ship
installation manuals via their mirrors.

Anyway, FAQ 3.1.3 points readers to the Installation Manual.  Perhaps
this problem isn't big enough to invest precious time :)

<snip comment on: new debian-faq package should get split off
debian-doc>

> > It'd be nice if the debian/ directory of the FAQ got maintained using
> > version control.  Maybe using SVN on alioth?
>
> Better yet to have it in the CVS DDP.

cvs.debian.org debian-doc/ddp/manuals.sgml/faq/debian/ seems consistent
with other documents.  I just might get to that, soonish.

It somewhat relates to the debian-doc package split though.

(Hrm, after some more searching it seems I'm finding out on my own the
issues already listed in ddp-policy (http://www.debian.org/doc/topics
and http://www.debian.org/doc/todo) :)

Bye,

Joost