Re: Sarge Release Notes - Call to update translations

Hi Frans,

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 07:20:33PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> Jens,
>
> I have not jet enabled zh_TW in the Makefile. Reason is that I'm not sure
> if the build system will support it.

Oh, Frans. Build systems supports this well :-))

> I had to install two extra packages [1] on my Sarge system, after that the
> build went fine and the output looks good.

Great you use Sarge with RECENT debiandoc-sgml package. www-master still
uses Woody that's why there are still so many ugly
 export PATH=../quick-reference/bin:$PATH
lines in Makefiles (can be removed after Sarge release).
As long as ../quick-reference/bin is not touched accidently it works
also on Woody machines with a full DDP CVS checkout.

> Could you check if the server will build zh_TW? Can you enable zh_TW if it
> does?

I know it does. All required packages are installed. Please enable it
and check build logs (I'm at moment too lazy :-)).

> [1] cjk-latex, ttf-arphic-bkai00mp
>
> We've also had announcements for ko and zh_CN. Are those supported?

Yes.

zh_TW (Traditional Chinese) uses kai font, Bg5 encoding,
  package tfm-arphic-bkai00mp
zh_CN (Simplified Chinese) uses kai font, GB encoding,
  package tfm-arphic-gkai00mp

Both tfm (Tex Font Metrics) depend on ttf packages (True Type Fonts).
cjk-latex package is required as well.
Apart from the kai font others (ming for zh_TW and sung for zh_CN) exist
but are NOT used by debiandoc-sgml (uses hardcoded fonts).

So you should also ensure to install tfm-arphic-bkai00mp.

(I'm sure about these dependencies since I tried this for harden-doc in
pbuilder environment and removed all extra fonts files first to be sure.
Nevertheless Javier hesitated up to now to apply my patch to add Chinese
documents.)

ko (Korean): package hlatex, hlatex-fonts-base and maybe for HTML (view
only, no build) ttf-baekmuk
cjk-latex is AFAIK not required (funny, since cjk stands for Chinese,
Japanese, Korean).

Please note that a ghostscript interpreter such as gs-gpl, gs-esp should
(not must) be installed too (required for PDF thumbnail generation).

Another question: debiandoc-sgml received a new locale patch for
Romanian (ro). This will hopefully available for Sarge too.
(The patch was generated for the release notes :-))
Is it possible to build release-notes for Web/CD using a recent version
of debiandoc-sgml to support these new locales?

PS: There was a Bulgarian version announced. I would like to add this
too once I obtain the patch (in a far future???).

Jens