Re: Please check Korean documents (Was: Re: maint-guide update: final confirmation before upload)

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:32:00AM +0900, Yooseong Yang wrote:
> > I would also like to know how to translate remaining English texts such
> > as "Chapter" in *.tex files. I tried defining these in source in the
> > same way as for Japanese (\def\chaptername{XYZ} or similar) and used
> > another macro package from hlatex package (in the documentation I found
> > that there seem to be multiple different Korean styles/dialects/...
> > which confused me) but nothing worked.
> >

> What do you mean by "translate"? Chapter is translated to "Jang" in Korean like:
> "Chapter 1" to "1 Jang". "Jang" is just english pronunciation, as you know.
> Some efforts to translate this "chapter" to "jang" is tried in KLDP
> (Korea Linux Documentation Project http://kldp.org). I'll check it out.
> We also should sleep on "Contents".

In Japanese and Chinese, we prefer Chapter 1 in the book to be spelled:
 第1章 (Number one chapter) J=(dai ichi shou)
than
 章1   (chapter 1) J=(shou 1)
.

Unfortunately, current infrastructure is not good enough to sandwitch
number in template text.  So we live with it.  I tyhought korean is the
same situation.  In Japanese we keep this part in English: "Chapter 1".

> You don't need to worry about dialects in korean documentation.

As long as current unfortunate situation keeps North away, I thought.
I thought their spelling system had some minor deviation (I mean they
use some older form).

Ciao.