Korean font fix on www-master (Was: Re: maint-guide update: final confirmation before upload)

Hi,

I'm sure I found a solution for the bogus Korean glyphs in PS and PDF
documents created on www-master.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 04:24:20PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Jens Seidel wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, I can't read maint-guide pdf in korean under korean
> > > window envirionment with acrobat reader. :<
> >
> > Please send me www-master's maint-guide.ko.log file so that I can inspect it.
> > Try to remove temporary files (such as *.aux, ...) and check that
> > hlatex and hlatex-fonts-base are installed!
>
> ii  hlatex                      0.991-3                     LaTeX Korean support
> ii  hlatex-fonts-base           0.991-2                     basic HLaTeX fonts files

Using this information and temporary debug output in project-history's
Makefile I was able to determine the problem.

The hlatex package contains /etc/texmf/dvips/uhc-down.map. This
needs to be specified in /etc/texmf/dvips/updmap:

Please add "uhc-down.map" (without quotes on a separate line) after the
line containing extra_modules=" and start
cd /etc/texmf/dvips && ./updmap && /usr/bin/texhash

A similar action occurs in /var/lib/dpkg/info/hlatex.postinst so a
"dpkg-reconfigure hlatex" might work as well.

I'm not sure what caused the trouble but it seems that the txfonts
package was installed in the past and incompletly removed
(/etc/texmf/dvips/psfonts.map contains txfonts.map entries).
I think it is not worth to investigate this further since Sarge uses a
better approach to handle *.map files.

If successfully there should be a
umj10 Umj10 <umj10.pfb
line in /etc/texmf/dvips/psfonts.map and "it works" output after
gsftopk -t umj11 && echo "it works"

It would be nice if you could touch the Korean files of apt-howto,
maint-guide and project-history so that I do not need do commit a dummy
version of these files into CVS.
The created missfont.log files can be removed as well on success.
(The missing fonts in missfont.log are visible in the log file
http://www-master.debian.org/build-logs/ddp/make.log when
debiandoc2latex* tools are called with verbose option -v).

> > I asked for this already a few times! A list of installed packages would
> > also be nice (or is this a security risk?).
>
> All installed packages?  *sigh*

Thanks, the list you sent me in a private mail was useful.

> Please, when sending mail to debian-admin, only include the stuff
> that is relevant for admin work.  Don't send a mail around to several
> lists where 90% of its content is irrelevant for -admin.  If I see
> too much "junk" in the mail I delete it since it seems to be misdirected.

OK. I hope this mail doesn't belong to this category.

Jens