Re: HOWTO Help (was: Debian DPL Debate Comments)

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:25:51PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 March 2005 22:08, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
(...)
> > AFAIK we don't have a good "What you can do to help us" documentation
> > (please correct me, if I am wrong).

No, we don't have one.

> How about http://www.debian.org/devel/join/ ?
> Which is linked from the main debian.org page (bottom left: "Help Debian")

That is probably too terse. I think that Alexander is talking about an
expanded document directed towards end users that would like a step-by-step
guide of what can they do to help the Debian project.

I would certainly find proper a good document on:

- how to contribute help in fixing bugs
- how to help in the different translation efforts
- how to get involved with local Debian organisations in your country
(listing those that do exist, like Debian UK or Debian Spain)
etc..

> > However I was about to write a new document about that, based on the
> > talk I did on the asian miniconf (which I btw, just uploaded to
> > <http://www.schmehl.info/publication/talks/200503_admc_howto_help/>,
> > not yet fixed the bugs or made a nice frontpage).
> >
> > If you have further Ideas for content, please drop me a mail.

The document looks quite good. You should probably ask for help to the
different teams (-www, -i18n, -l10n-XXX teams, -doc) on specific tasks that
could be expanded on (contributing content to the web site, translating and writing
documentation). Some information is already spelled out (both in the web
pages and recurring posts to the mailing lists) but keeping them all
together would be a Good Thing.

Regards

Javier