Re: Plan for DDP

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 10:42:13PM +0100, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > [...]
>
> There were documentation point release issues which were totally
> different subject from the web page update frequency issue.  Current
> point release policy does not allow update of documentation *.deb
> package in the stable distribution.  This is because these updates are
> not "security" issue nor severe "usability" issue.  It was considered to
> be just minor updates to fix glitches by the RM.
>
> Javi, and I too, had great doubts on this pedantic rule about "stable
> point release" since it has no real benefit while enforcing to release
> known bad documents just to satisfy the letter of the release policy.
>
> So the best stable user can do is to use extensive use of APT system to
> get packages from unstable or use web to get documents from the normal
> web page section.

I agree. Not allowing correction of documents is IMHO a bad practice.
I find also Joey's latest updates a bit too conservative in some way.
Another area of interest for that is kernel images, but that's OT here.

> By the way, Francesco, we may want to raise documentation update issues
> during stable point release, once the dust settles over DDP.
>
> Osamu

Oh sure, those were just my general considerations, not related
to DDP (re)startup.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine