Re: Plan for DDP

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 10:15:56PM +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 10:14:02PM +0100, Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:
> >
> > Sincerely, I do not understand at all the need to have an weekly
> > html edition of the development cvs, but probably it's my failure.
>
> 1.- Some of the documents are _only_ published in htlm form.

So they are already published in the cvs

> 2.- Users running stable cannot retrieve the latest version of the
> documents installing new packages. Also, packages with documents might not
> contain translations in some languages.

True, but hopefully documents should generally be up-to-date in respect to
unstable, not stable, that's quite confusing for naive users.

> 3.- The website is the only place were all documentation is published, it's
> not available in the FTP mirrors, even.
>
> And it's not necessarily the _development_ CVS, stable documents which are
> updated from time to time (once a month? typo fixes? new translations?) are
> also published using the same mechanism.

Mmm, probably we should consider the same sort of maintainance we have
for point releases in stable (and so branching cvs whenever needed).
Anyway, sure: at the current state we have not a better management, so having
up-to-date docs is a requirement.

> That's why I value the CVS to html transition so much. For some users, it's
> the only contact they really have with some of the documentation
> that Debian produces.

Ok, I was a bit biased by developers point of view.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine