Re: DDP project on Alioth

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 12:21:58AM +0100, Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:
> After discussion with Pierre Machard aka migus on IRC, I created a new
> project 'ddp' on alioth in order to restore by trusted snapshots
> the no more available documentation repository.

Have you talked with Adam or Joy about this? Last time I looked _they_ were
the ones that should take this decission.

> The plan is that describe in
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-doc/2003/debian-doc-200312/msg00017.html

That plan has not been approved by all DDP members.

> In the meantime me and mingus will check archive contents. Helpers
> are welcome.

I already asked for this and it should have been done _before_ moving the
DDP project for Alioth. I could only check the latest HEAD branch against
several HEAD copies (mine included) and all changes looked ok to me, but
was not able to review all the history for the scripts.

If you check the contents of utils/ (which I haven't) and manuals.sgml
scripts history then we could contact debian-admin to reenable the CVSROOT
at gluck:/home/oldgluck/org/cvs.debian.org/cvs/debian-doc.

> I also added some obviuos users to the project, such as joy and aph.
> If a trustable committers list can be provided to us, it would be fine.

That would be all the list of 'users' in the old CVSRoot. You could also
gather one based on the history of changes of all the documents. BTW, have
you contacted the translation teams at all?

If you were interested in restoring the DDP service it should have been
restored _first_ on gluck, after all the contents have been verified, once
done, it could have been moved to alioth, but after contacting all the
parties. This "now it's done" approach, is not the way to do it.

Do you have a clear plan on how to have gluck regenerate all the
documentation in HTML format based on the Alioth sources? Have
you discussed this with debian-admin@?

Also notice that for some users of the DDP, including myself, the history
is as important as the documents themselves. Please preserve it too.

Note that I'm not particuarly against moving the DDP to Alioth, it's just
that I don't believe it is a decission to be taken lightly, and should be
clear on all fronts, that's why I'm hinting to some of the steps you
have missed. Granted, they should all have been done by now by other
DDP members (it's almost february) but fixing RC bugs has been a higher
priority (for me at least).

Regards

Javier