Re: Re: Debian Documentation

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 02:55:16PM +0100, Pierre Riteau wrote:
> Hello, I'm new to GNU/Linux Debian and I understand what Thomas Albrechtdfd
> wanted to say.
> I had been using Debian Sarge for a few days, and it was a bit difficult to
> find good documentation.
>
> Debian Reference IS good, but I think it is a bit complicated for the new
> user. Too long, covers too much points.
> Around this, you have several user's guide. User's Guide (Progeny) looks
> good, but it is designed for Woody and not translated.
>
> I have found a great guide in French, by a Debian fan :
> http://people.via.ecp.fr/~alexis/formation-linux/formation-linux.html
> It helped me a lot. If I can resume in one sentence, it may be :
> Introduction to Linux and Optimized End-User Desktop in minimal steps.
> It covers all points that a new user should now
> (how to watch videos, what is cvs or ssh, working with the console...)
> without being too long.
> Unfortunately at the moment it is not updated for Sarge.

Sarge specific things, people has to rely on release note and sarge
install manual.

> What are you planning for Sarge documentation ?
> For me, I would be good to have 2 steps : first, a new-user documentation,
> to have a well-working system (and well-using user ;) )
> without hundreds of pages to read.

We discussed it once for release note but I am not involved.

(I know current install manual is also long and highly technical talking
tftp install etc..

> Next, the Debian Reference, more advanced.
> Of course translated into all possible languages.

I think I will keep my document more focused around here.

> Thanks for all your great work to make a such awesome system running.
> I will try to help you after my exams

Good luck.